Cheddar Turkey Burgers With Mashed Avocado
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- kosher salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- 1 cup extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (4 ounces)
- 1/2 small red onion, half grated and half thinly sliced
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
- Heat grill to medium-high. Once it is hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush. Just before grilling, oil the grill grate. 2. Mix together the avocado, lime juice, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. 3. Gently mix together the turkey, Cheddar, grated onion, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper with your hands in a medium bowl until just combined. Form the turkey mixture into four ¾-inch-thick patties. Use your fingers to make a shallow well in the top of each patty (this will prevent overplumping during cooking). 4. Grill the burgers until cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165° F, 6 to 8 minutes per side.* Grill the buns, split-side down, until toasted, 5 to 10 seconds per side. 5. Stack the burgers, sliced onion, and avocado mixture between the buns. *This recipe includes the Real Simple test kitchen”™s preferred cooking temperatures (considered safe by many experts) for burgers cooked to their juicy best. For maximum food safety, the U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends temperatures of 165° F for poultry, 145° F for fish, and 160° F for ground beef, lamb, and pork.
This is another smart plug-in!