A Decadent Twist on Chocolate French Toast
Chocolate French Toast takes the beloved breakfast dish to a new level of decadence. By incorporating rich chocolate flavors into the classic French toast recipe, this delightful twist is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and make your mornings extra special.
The Ingredients for Chocolatey Perfection
To make Chocolate French Toast, you’ll need some basic ingredients, as well as a few chocolatey additions. Start with thick slices of your favorite bread, such as brioche or challah, which will provide a pillowy texture. Then, gather eggs, milk, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Additionally, you can add chocolate chips or chunks to take the chocolate flavor to the next level.
The Preparation Process For “Chocolate French Toast”
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt until well combined. This chocolate-infused egg mixture will serve as the custard for your French toast. For additional richness, you can melt chocolate and whisk it into the mixture as well.
Next, dip each slice of bread into the chocolate custard, ensuring that both sides are coated evenly. Allow the bread to soak up the rich flavors for a few seconds on each side. Meanwhile, preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly grease it with butter or cooking spray.
Place the soaked bread slices onto the preheated skillet or griddle and cook until golden brown on each side, usually around 2-3 minutes per side.
Chocolate French Toast Taste That Delighted Flavor
- 1 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c. chocolate milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 loaf brioche, sliced 1 ” thick
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Step 1 Make chocolate ganache: Place chocolate chips in a medium heat-proof bowl. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat heavy cream just until it bubbles, about 5 minutes. Pour hot cream over chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk constantly until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly, then transfer to a Ziploc bag.
- Step 2 In a shallow baking dish, whisk eggs with chocolate milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Step 3 Prepare bread: Cut a 2” wide slit into the bottom of each slice to create a deep pocket. Fill each pocket with chocolate ganache. (You should have about half left over for drizzling.)
- Step 4 Place stuffed bread into the chocolate custard mixture and let soak, 1 minute per side.
- Step 5 In a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook 2 slices of bread at a time until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat to cook all slices.
- Step 6 Top with whipped cream, a drizzle of ganache, and chocolate chips.
Serving and Garnishing Ideas
Once cooked, transfer the Chocolate French Toast onto a serving plate. For a touch of indulgence, you can drizzle the French toast with melted chocolate or sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Fresh berries, sliced bananas, or whipped cream can also add a delightful contrast of flavors and textures.
While delightful on its own, Chocolate French Toast can be further personalized to cater to your taste preferences. You can experiment with different types of chocolate, such as dark, milk, or white chocolate, to achieve varying levels of richness. Additionally, you can try incorporating spices like cinnamon or a hint of espresso powder to enhance the chocolate flavors even more.
Whether you serve it as a special weekend breakfast treat, a brunch centerpiece, or even a dessert, is a delightful way to indulge in the blissful fusion of chocolate and classic French toast. Enjoy the velvety textures and rich flavors that will make every bite truly irresistible.