Citrus Arugula Salad with Seared Scallops
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cara cars orange
- 2 radish, thinly sliced
- 1/2 persian cucumber (or english cucumber), thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 8 scallops
- First, you'll want to thinly slice the radishes and cucumber; and, dice the green onion.
- In a bowl, squeeze half of the Cara Cara orange and pulp, add salt and whisk together.
- Add in the radish and cucumber slices, arugula and toss together.
- For the scallops: heat oil in a high heat.
- Place the scallops flat-side down in the hot pan. Don't overcrowd the pan, or the pan won't stay hot enough to give the scallops a good sear. If you have a lot of scallops, it's better to work in batches.
- Once you've placed the scallops in the pan, don't touch them. (
- Let them do their thing!) If you give in to the temptation to move the scallops around the pan, all you'll be doing is preventing them from forming the nice brown crust that you want. Because of variations in scallop thickness, pan temperatures and so on, it's not easy to pinpoint an exact cooking time. But after a couple of minutes, it's OK to peek underneath. If you see a nice, caramel-colored crust on the underside, they're ready to flip.
- Plate your salad and place 4 scallops on top. Scallops start to turn rubbery if you wait too long to serve them, so get them on the plate right away. And be sure to serve them with the beautiful caramel-colored crust facing up.
This is one clever plugin!