Decadent Homemade Oreos
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and sugar. Now add the butter and egg, and mix until it's combined. The mixture will come together as a dough, but the texture is a bit coarse.Use a food scoop (or a tablespoon measuring spoon), and scoop the dough on to a cookie sheet. You're looking for no bigger than golf ball size. Lightly wet your hand or a glass with a flat bottom and gently press down on the dough balls until they're a bit flat.
- Bake the cookies for 9 minutes.
- Let them cool on a rack.For the filling, just mix the butter, shortening, and vanilla until combined and then gradually add the powdered sugar. You can use the same food scoop to scoop the filling on half the cookies, or you can put the filling in a plastic bag, cut off the tip, and pipe the cream filling out.
This is one huge addon!