Fennel Side Dish With Garlic and Parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 mediums fennel bulbs, stalks trimmed, fronds reserved
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- Salt and freshly groiund black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F. Halve fennel bulbs lengthwise and remove cores; chop 2 tablespoons of fronds and set aside.
- Place cut sides of each bulb together; wrap tightly in foil packet. Arrange packets on baking sheet. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until crisp-tender, or longer if softer texture is desired. Wearing protective gloves, transfer to cool baking sheet and open the packets completely to stop the cooking. When fennel is cool enough to handle, drain well and cut each half lengthwise into -inch slices. (Do not be concerned if the layers of the slices separate.)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil in a little pool; do not spread it around. When hot, add garlic and parsley to the pool; cook about 1 minute, gently stirring to coat without dispersing pool. When garlic mixture is fragrant, spread over entire skillet and add fennel. Season to taste with salt and pepper and increase heat to medium-high. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring and tossing often, until fennel is lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with chopped fronds and serve immediately.
This is one astonishing item!