French Style Almond Saffron Cake
- cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- of salt
- 1 cup butter- room temperature
- 7 ounces tube almond paste (not marzipan)/ 8 oz can almond paste
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 Zest of orange
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 (8 inch) round cake pans and set aside.
- Heat milk on medium heat, add orange zest and saffron, bring to a gentle simmer and take off heat.
- Let cool.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Using a stand mixer cream butter and almond paste for 5 minutes. I cut up the almond paste to smaller pieces and added to mixer.
- Add confectioners sugar and beat till fluffy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time.
- Add in flour and sour cream alternately.
- Gently pour in saffron mixture and mix well.
- Divide batter between both prepared pans and bake for 30/40 minutes, test for doneness with a cake tester. I baked mined for 40 minutes.
- Serve with berries or dusted with confectioners sugar.
These add-ons are elegant!