Greek Style Honey and Pistachio Cake
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 large eggs
- 150gr / 5 oz. plain flour
- 225gr / 8 oz. Greek yogurt
- 75gr / 2.5 oz. ground almonds
- 100ml / 3.8 fl. oz. honey
- Juice of 1 to 2 lemons (to taste)
- Juice of two oranges
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 200ml / 6.7 fl. oz. olive oil
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 150gr / 5 oz. pistachios
- A pinch of salt
- 200gr / 7 oz. semolina
- 225gr / 8 oz. caster sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C / 350F.
- Mix all the cake batter ingredients together until smooth. This is quite a loose batter so its easy to do by hand.Line your baking tin with greaseproof paper and pour the cake batter in.
- Place in the oven and bake for up to 50 minutes. Checking after 3
- I check by sliding a knife or a skewer into the middle of the cake and when it comes out clean, the cake is baked through.Allow your cake to cool completely before making the syrup.Smash or chop your pistachios roughly.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on the stove and roast the nuts for a couple of minutes, add the honey and the lemon and orange juice. Stir around for a few seconds on a high heat.Whilst your cake is still in the tin pierce it all over with a knife and pour over your syrup. Allow the liquid to soak into the sponge before serving.
This is one unbelievable plugin!