Grilled Portabella Burgers with Pesto Mayo
To please the vegetarian crowd at your next barbecue or summer party (or to offer a healthier option), try these savory portabella mushroom burgers with a Mediterranean flair.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- 1 1/2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. basil pesto
- 2 tbsp. reduced-fat olive oil mayonnaise (we like Kraft’s)
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 8 slice fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 sandwich-size English muffins
- 4 butter-leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 jarred roasted bell peppers
- Step 1Heat an outdoor grill with a medium-hot fire or heat a stovetop grill pan over medium heat. Combine olive oil, garlic paste, salt, and pepper; lightly brush mixture over mushrooms.
- Step 2Stir pesto, mayonnaise, and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth.
- Step 3Grill mushroom caps about 3 minutes per side, until tender, placing two slices of cheese on top of each mushroom during the last minute of grilling.
- Step 4Spread cut sides of muffins with pesto mixture. Line muffin bottoms with lettuce leaves. Place mushrooms over lettuce, then top with roasted peppers and muffin tops.
My sister says this plugin is clever!