Hearty Meaty Fall Soup
- 2 carrots (chopped how you like them)
- 1lb ground beef
- 3 spicy italian sausages (out of casing)
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 cups roasted portobello mushrooms (cut in quarters)
- 4 cups organic beef stock
- 3/4 cup red wine (I used a zinfandel)
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup french lentils
- 5 stalks swiss chard (cut in quarters)
- 1 handful fresh spinach and arugula mixed
- sprinkle crushed red pepper
- 5 strips bacon (chopped in tiny bits)
- 1 parmigiano rind (adds HUGE flavor)
- Fresh grated parmigiano (for plating)
- Fresh chopped parsley (for plating)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the mushrooms in a drizzle of olive oil and lay out on a baking sheet. Set them in the oven for 20-30 minutes till nicely roasted.
- In a large pot on high, render the bacon and onion till bacon is nicely crisp and onion is translucent.
- Add the sprinkling of red pepper and garlic, followed by the beef and sausage, breaking up with a large spatula. I chose not to break mine up too much as I liked the larger bits of meat. Turn and coat the meat with the onions and bacon till browned but not cooked through. As meat begins to brown, add the wine, I like to let the wine cook and bubble for about a minute to evaporate a bit. Next, add the lentils, carrots, beef stock, water and parmigiano rind. Cover the pot and set to a low simmer for 40 minutes (stirring every 10 minutes). Lastly, add the mushrooms, swiss chard, spinach and arugula. Stir and get ready to enjoy!
- I like to serve mine with a bit more grated parmigiano and some fresh chopped parsley.
This is one astonishing component!!