Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese (6 Ingredients)
Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese is made with cashews or almonds and is perfect for a dairy-free lifestyle! Best Vegan ricotta with incredibly creamy, delicious, and perfect as a dip or in vegan lasagna!
Vegan ricotta cheese is super simple to make with 6 ingredients!
For soft cheese, it is best to soak the cashews in water for about 2 hours first. Then drain the water, and add fresh water and a bit of flavorful nutritional yeast, lemon, salt, and vinegar right before blending! Easy as pie! Although, is pie really that easy???
For most of you that are finding this recipe you probably are looking for a fabulous vegan ricotta cheese to make in place of dairy cheese, Right? This is a fabulous recipe to add to lasagna, pasta, this spaghetti squash pizza casserole, and even dribbled-on gluten-free pizza in place of mozzarella cheese! When you do replace other cheese with this vegan cashew ricotta cheese, enjoy that it has a creamy spreadable consistency!
Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese for a dairy-free lifestyle!
But if you are here for the purdy pictures and stumbled upon this recipe at random. Let me explain what vegan cheese is and why anyone would want to substitute dairy for nuts.
A vegan diet eliminates all animal products. This includes meat, poultry, eggs, butter, honey, animal milk, and cheese. There are so many fantastic vegan options these days. You can find already prepared nut-based vegan cheese at most specialty grocery stores.
With allergies being at a high rise, vegan cheese is becoming more popular to use in place of dairy. It is also so easy to create! Other benefits are that vegan cheese is more easily digested and its natural high fat (from nuts) is perfect for a Paleo and Whole30 diet!
This vegan cheese is becoming more popular
To get the cheesy flavors, I like to add nutritional yeast and some nutritional yeast can contain traces of gluten, so just double-check the ingredient source or package first.
I have this vegan ricotta cheese recipe in my 30 Irresistible Healthy Gluten-Free Snacks e-book, topped on toast with roasted bruschetta! It is so delicious and I make it frequently that I just had to share it here with you! The ingredients are also the base used in this vegan cashew cheese dip, which has gotten rave reviews at my mommy’s happy hours! To turn it into a vegan ricotta, fewer ingredients are used and I strain it through a cheesecloth for either a thicker dairy-free ricotta or do it slightly to obtain a slightly less liquid consistency. If you strain a lot of the water out, it will form into what resembles curds.
Let me tell you it is so delicious spread on toast or crackers and served even with roasted butternut squash! The endless capabilities using this vegan ricotta cheese could go on and on!
This vegan cashew ricotta cheese is great
Creamy, flavorful, soft, dairy-free, made without whey, slightly sweet, made with cashews (or you can use almond slivers), the perfect filling for lasagna, cannoli, and cheesecake, and is similar to Mascarpone!
It is also fabulous beaten smooth and mixed with condiments or sugar, cinnamon, chocolate, or strawberries and served as dessert!
Vegan Cashew Ricotta Cheese (6 Ingredients)
- Danielle Fahrenkrug
- Vegan ricotta cheese is made with cashews or almonds and is perfect for a dairy-free lifestyle! This cashew ricotta is incredibly creamy, delicious, and perfect as a dip or in vegan lasagna!
- Prep Time 2 hrs
- Total Time 2 hrs
- Course Appetizer, Condiment, Main Course, Side Dish
- Cuisine Italian
- Servings 8
- Calories 180 kcal
- Soak 2 cups of unsalted cashews in 2 cups of water (or until the nuts are fully covered). Cover in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to soften. When the cashews are ready drain the water then add cashews to a blender with salt, nutritional yeast, white vinegar, lemon juice, and 1 cup of fresh water. Blend until smooth.
- Using a mesh bag or cheesecloth and a large bowl, put the cheesecloth over the bowl and pour the cashew mixture on the cheesecloth. Close the sides of the cheesecloth and squeeze out the water. You can make it to your consistency and squeeze a little bit or squeeze a lot of water.
- Pour the ricotta cheese from the cheesecloth into an airtight jar and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Soak the nuts ahead of time and have this ricotta recipe ready in 10 minutes!* Nutrition is based on about ¼ cup. Special Items Needed: Mesh Bag
Serving: 8gCalories: 180kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 6gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gSodium: 294mgPotassium: 222mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin C: 0.9mgCalcium: 12mgIron: 2.2mg