Italian Caprese Sliders
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 8 oz fresh Mozzarella cheese sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 large Roma tomatoes sliced in 1/4 in thick slices
- 36 large fresh basil leaves stems removed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- Gently but thoroughly mix together the ground beef and ground Italian sausage (removing from the casings if any), along with the Italian spices, chopped onion, chopped Bell pepper and 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Press the mixture into a jelly roll pan using a rolling pin to make a flat even layer.
- Cut the meat into 2 squares.
- Grill 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through to a temperature of at least 16
- If not fresh from the oven, wrap the rolls in foil and warm on the top rack of the grill while the burgers are cooking on their second side.
- When the burgers are done, place a slice of mozzarella on each burger and tent with foil while preparing the buns.
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic and remaining 1 clove minced garlic
- Place the burger with cheese on the bottom of the bun, add a slice of tomato and two good-sized basil leaves and drizzle each burger with 1/2 teaspoon of the balsamic/olive oil dressing.
These addons are beautiful!!