Juicy Turkey Burgers With Sautéed Tomatoes, Basil, and Ricotta Recipe
These quick and tender turkey burgers are packed with flavor, including a topping of pan-sautéed tomatoes, melted shallots, ricotta cheese, and basil. They’re a delicious 30-minute meal.
Why this recipe works:
- The burger patty is gently mixed with fresh herbs and garlic to amp up the turkey’s flavor without overworking the meat.
- The toppings are made while the burger rests, so that the juices have time to settle into the meat .
- Blistered tomatoes, creamy ricotta, and fresh basil recall the flavor of meatballs on a bun.
Note: While dark meat from turkey thighs results in the juiciest, most flavorful patties, breast meat will also work well here.
- 1 pound ground turkey meat, preferably dark meat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves and fine stems, roughly chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced or grated with a Microplane
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- Pinch of dried red chili flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- ½ cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 4 burger buns, toasted
In a mixing bowl, gently combine the turkey, salt, pepper, cilantro, and garlic, being careful not to overwork it, until just combined. Form into 4 loosely packed patties.
Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat until lightly smoking. Add the patties and cook until browned and crispy, about 6 minutes per side. Let rest.
Meanwhile, pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan and heat over medium heat until shimmering. Add shallots and a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chili flakes, stirring often, until tomatoes break down and soften, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon tomato mixture on the bottom bun halves, top with burger patties and a dollop of ricotta. Top with whole basil leaves and freshly cracked black pepper and serve immediately.
This Recipe Appears In
- How to Make Juicy Turkey Burgers With Three Delicious Toppings
These extensions are adorable.