Lighter, One Pot Cajun Pasta with Sausage
A lighter, one pot cajun pasta with smoked sausage, tons of vegetables, a little parmaesan and a smooth sauce.
- 1 lb of sausage, sliced (I used kielbasa)
- 3 cups of penne or bowtie pasta
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 C mushrooms, sliced
- 2 -3 C spinach
- 1/2 C broccoli, steamed*
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp +2 tbsp (for garnish) parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Prepare the 3 cups of pasta according to package.
- Brown sausage in pan. Remove to paper towel lined plate.
- Turn heat down to medium, and add butter, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and roasted garlic. Stir till onions and peppers begin to soften. About 4- 5 minutes.
- Season with the cajun seasoning and stir till coated.
- Add 2 tbsp of flour.
- Stir in the chicken broth. Mixture will begin to bubble.
- add the spinach and cover the pan till it begins to wilt down; approx. 3 – 4 mins.
- Stir in the milk and parmesan cheese.
- Now, add the steamed broccoli, sausage, and cooked pasta. Stir till everything is well combined and coated with the sauce.
- If necessary, add salt and pepper. Serve with fresh parsley and additional parmesan cheese.
This is one glamorous ingredient!