- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 4 garlic cloves crushed, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano
- Coarse salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can crushed tomatoes – (28 oz)
- 1 can chunky style crushed tomatoes – (14 oz)
- 4 semolina crusty sub rolls
- 10 ounces shredded provolone or Italian 4-cheese
- Shredded basil (sweet) or
- shredded arugula (spicy) leaves for garnish
- Oven Fries (see recipe)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place ground sirloin in a large mixing bowl and punch a well into the center of meat. Fill well with the egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire, parsley, cheese, and a little salt and pepper.
- Mix up meatball ingredients until well combined, yet not over-mixed. Divide mix into 4 equal parts, roll each part into 4 balls and space equally onto a nonstick baking sheet.
- Place meatballs in oven and roast about 12 minutes. Break a meatball open and make sure meat is cooked through before removing from the oven.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add oil and garlic. When garlic starts sizzling, add herbs and crushed pepper. Allow oil to infuse for half a minute, then stir in the tomatoes and season sauce with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a bubble, reduce heat, and simmer until meatballs are removed from oven.
- Combine meatballs and sauce and pile into sub rolls, 4 meatballs per sub. Top with shredded cheese and place subs under broiler to melt cheese. Top with shredded basil or arugula and serve with a pile of Oven Fries.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- 0 0
My beautiful sister says this plugin is beautiful!!