Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 1 pound orzo
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 8 tablespoons EVOO
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 12 pepperoncinis, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Bring a pot of water to a rapid boil. Generously salt water and cook orzo until tender, approximately 7-9 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- While orzo is cooking, spread pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast lightly in oven on 400 degrees.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of EVOO on medium heat in a non-stick pan.
- Saute chopped green onions for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, toasted pine nuts and cooked orzo.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes for flavors to combine and absorb into the orzo.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, green bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion and pepperoncinis to orzo mixture.
- Additionally add crumbled feta cheese, red wine vinegar and remaining six tablespoons of EVOO.
- Mix well. Can be refrigerated or served immediately.
I be nuts about extensions, because they are smart!