Mini Spiced Apple Tarts with Chocolate
- 4 bittersweet chocolate squares (I used Ghiradelli)
- 2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (fresh is so much better!)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 green apples- peeled and cubed small
- pinch ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons half& half (I used fatfree Land-o-Lakes)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted cubed butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 8 tablespoons COLD water
- In a food processor add the flour, salt and sugar and pulse until blended.
- Add the cubed butter and pulse until the butter chunks are small pea sized. While pulsing, slowly dribble in the cold water.
- Add enough water until the dough has turned into a rough mass.
- Place dough mixture on a floured counter and form into a 1-2 inch thick disk. Wrap with plastic and place in the fridge for AT LEAST 2 hours.In a bowl mix together all the ingredients listed above.
- Place aside.If using a conventional oven, preheat to about 37
- Spray the muffin tins.After 2+ hours, remove the dough from the fridge onto a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out into a thin pastry sheet (just before its thin enough to see through! Using a round 3 inch cookie cutter or a knife, cut out circles. Regardless of whether youre using the babycakes machine or regular muffin tins, make sure to SPRAY them. Line each cup with the circles of dough pressing lightly into the cup to create a tart shell. If using babycakes machine, use the pie tart tool to press into the cups.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until the shells are slightly cooked and slightly golden.
- Remove the tins from the oven/ open the babycakes machine lid.
- Add enough apple filling to come over the top of the tin a little.
- Bake for another 8-10 minutes, or until apples are soft and crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove each tart from the tin/babycakes machine and let cool on a rack.
- Heat chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for about 45 second.
- Pour in milk and 1 tbsp of water.
- Heat for another 30-40 second. Stir and if not melted, add another tbsp hot water and heat for another 30 second. Stir until smooth and glistening. You want the consistency to be a bit thin so you can drizzle the tarts.Using a small whisk or spoon (I used a spoon) drizzle the tarts in a fast back and forth motion until tops are covered. Cool until chocolate is hardened.
I like addons, because they are adorable!