Poached eggs in tomatoes
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1/2 a pepper (I used a yellow one for colour)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100 g chorizo sausage, chopped
- 400 g can of plum tomatoes in juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 eggs
- Salt, as required
- Feta cheese
- Crusty bread to serve
- Heat a tsp of olive oil in a frying pan (Preferably one you can also use to serve at the table).
- Add the cumin seeds and let them sputter. Toss in the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the chorizo and cook further for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the onion and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes with the chopped thyme and coriander (leave some thyme and coriander for garnish). Stir in the paprika, add some water if the sauce seems to be drying out. Season with salt and cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Gently break the eggs into the pan, over the tomato sauce and let them cook on a low flame.
- Once the eggs are cooked, sprinkle over the rest of the coriander and thyme, and crumble some feta cheese on top. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with some crusty bread.
These extensions are helpful.