Sausage & Noodle Stir-Fry
- 12 good-quality sausages
- 250g thick or medium egg noodle
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- juice 1 large orange
- 2 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- finger-length piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 200g pack sugar snap peas
- 1 bunch spring onions, shredded lengthways
- 2 tbsp sesame seed, toasted
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Squeeze the sausagemeat from the skins into a large bowl. Then, using your hands, roll the meat into meatballs, getting about three from each sausage. Place on a roasting tray, then cook for 10-12 mins until golden and cooked through. Can be made up to a day ahead. Reheat in the oven for 5 mins until piping hot.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to pack instructions. In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, honey and orangejuice. (If you want to get ahead, boil the noodles, cool under cold water, drain, toss with a little oil, then set aside until needed).
- STEP 3
Heat a large non-stick wok or frying pan and add the oil. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli then fry for 1 min. Add the carrot and peppers, stir-fry for 3 mins, then add the sugar snaps and spring onions for the final min of cooking.
- STEP 4
Drain the noodles, then add to the vegetables, along with the soy sauce mixture. Toss well, season, then scatter with the sesame seeds. Serve in warm bowls and top with the sausage meatballs.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, November 2007
This is another smart item!!