Slow roasted pulled pork sandwiches
These Slow Roasted Pulled Pork Sandwiches are perfect for feeding a crowd. Pork shoulder is rubbed with spices, then slow roasted until it shreds easily. Delicious in a simple sandwich or try my tamales recipe.
These are the best slow roasted pulled pork sandwiches I’ve ever had. It probably (definitely) has something to do with the Chipotle Bacon BBQ Sauce (< click the text for the recipe, picture below) and yes, the sauce does have bacon in it and it is amazingly tasty.
Both the sandwich and the barbecue sauce are updated from the original recipe I posted years ago with better pictures and added videos.
When a roast pork is literally falling apart on its own, there’s nothing more satisfying that taking 2 forks and shredding the meat. If you used a bone-in cut of meat, the bone should pull right out, cleanly. That is when you know it is done.
What is the best cut of pork to use?
Pork shoulder (sometimes called pork butt) is the best cut to use. After cooking low and slow it shreds up beautifully.
How much pork do I need for the people I’m serving?
When it comes to pulled pork, the standard rule of thumb is one-third to one-half pound of meat per person. This recipe calls for a 3 pound piece of pork so that will feed 6 people.
What do you put on a pulled pork sandwich?
For me, its barbecue sauce and fresh coleslaw, that’s all it needs. The freshness of the coleslaw gives an amazing crunch to the meatiness of the sandwich and the sauce adds such great barbecue flavor, with a kick.
Let the oven do all the work
Getting the pork perfect is not a fast process, but well worth the time and there’s no labor involved. Well, that is if you called rubbing the spice mix onto the meat and then shredding it labor.
The best thing I did when roasting this pork, was add chicken stock to the roasting pan because this creates a tasty liquid and keeps the meat moist.
Once the meat is finished roasting, I mix the juices with barbecue sauce, that just adds more barbecue flavor to the meat. But be warned, it is difficult to not ‘sample’ the meat while you’re shredding it, which I did. A lot.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
In the summer when I don’t want to turn on the oven, I slow cook the pork in my slow cooker. Follow the recipe for the pulled pork up to the step to putting in the oven. Add the pork to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours, covered.
Here is the recipe for the Pulled Pork Tamales I mentioned above (pictured below.)
Not a fan of pork? I have a delicious recipe for Pulled Chicken Sandwich (see picture below).
If you’ve tried this Slow Roasted Pulled Pork Sandwiches recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it turned out in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see daily recipe updates.
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pound (1.3 kg) pork shoulder or butt, bone in or boneless, excess fat trimmed
- 1/3 cup (78 ml) chicken stock
- 3 cups (709 ml) homemade or jarred barbecue sauce
- In a small bowl, mix the smoked paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Put the pork in a roasting pan and rub with the spice blend. Allow to come to room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300° F/150°C.
- Pour the chicken stock into the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover the pan tightly with foil. Roast for 4 hours, or until or the pork pulls apart easily with a fork. If there is a bone, it should pull out very easily.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Skim as much fat off the top of the pan juices as you can, then add 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce and mix.
- Shred the meat using 2 forks. Mix until coated in the sauce.
- Serve on hamburger buns topped with extra barbecue sauce and coleslaw.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 402Saturated Fat 2gCholesterol 62mgSodium 1658mgCarbohydrates 61gFiber 2gSugar 48gProtein 20g
This is another beautiful extension!!