Tomatoes and Onions in Olive Oil with Fresh Basil
Warm tomatoes and onions poached in olive oil with garlic and basil are spooned rustically atop toasted crusty bread.
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 3 large onions, peeled and cored
- 3-4 cups extra virgin olive oil (I used Arianna Trading Company Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: 2-3 fresh basil leaves, julienned for garnish
- * 1 loaf artisan bread, sliced and toasted
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Line the bottom of a large ovenproof dish with basil leaves.
- Place tomatoes and onions core side down in the dish so they are snug but not touching. Pour enough olive oil to cover tomatoes and onions halfway up its sides. Add and submerge garlic cloves in the oil.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until tomatoes and onions are soft. Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and freshly sliced basil.
- Slice and toast the bread and serve with the warm tomatoes and onions.
- Serves 4.
This is one huge item!